Raquel L. Sefton
With more than two decades of family law experience, Ms. Sefton provides sophisticated, technology-enabled representation in a broad range of complex family law matters to successful professionals, entrepreneurs, business leaders, individuals with legacy wealth and their significant others.
Clients navigating difficult life transitions rely on her strategic advice, thoughtful insight and, when appropriate, strong advocacy.
Ms. Sefton understands the intense demands on her clients’ time. She created, mentors and manages a team of lawyers and family law professionals to effectively represent clients at all stages of family law proceedings. She is adept at leveraging resources to provide virtual forms of representation, when preferred, facilitating remote consultations and mediation by secure videoconference and e-payment options to streamline the process of resolving family law matters.
Certified by the California Bar Association as a Family Law Specialist for nearly 15 years, she has handled hundreds of family law matters, resolving complicated support, custody and division of assets disputes. She’s particularly skilled at helping clients unravel the tangle of emotional and financial issues presented by high-asset dissolutions. Wisdom, flexibility and discretion guide Ms. Sefton’s work for her clients.
Ms. Sefton is a family law problem-solver. Whether as a mediator or other neutral (judge pro tem, special master, etc.), or as an advocate, Ms. Sefton uses her skill and experience to solve difficult family law issues — often through a team approach to provide a cost-effective solution for her clients.
She represents clients in matters including:
- Issues raised when parties separate, including legal separation, dissolution (divorce), domestic partnership and winding down of co-habitation arrangements including Marvin and palimony claims
- Child custody, child support and spousal support including modification after entry of judgment
- Issues raised when parties come together or recommit to each other, including co-habitation, premarital, post-nuptial, legal separation and dissolution agreements
- Complex matters requiring an understanding of and facility with trusts and estates as well as family law
- Domestic violence and paternity counseling and advocacy (adoptions are referred to preferred providers)
- Appeals and litigation involving jurisdictional disputes, conflict of laws and interplay of family and probate law
- Resolution of complex family law matters including financial issues encompassing taxes, transactions, international issues, immigration, startups, executive compensation, private equity and hedge funds, corporate structures, real estate, privately held businesses, and trusts and estates.
- Harvard Law School (J.D., magna cum laude)
- University of California, Los Angeles (B.S., magna cum laude)
- Phi Beta Kappa, with highest honors for graduation from Honors Collegium Program
- Association of Certified Family Law Specialists
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Family Law Section, Chair (2008-2009)
- Vice Chair (2007)
- Member: 2013 to Present;
- Founding Group Leader 2015-2019;
- Member of Women’s and Lawyer’s affinity groups.
- San Mateo County Bar Association
- Family Law Section
- Alameda County Bar Association
- Family Law Section
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Family Law Section
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Harvard Law School Association of Northern California
- Member: 2008 to present
- President 2021 to present.
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT INCLUDING HONORS AND AWARDS
- Named a “Family Law Trailblazer” by the National Law Journal(2019)
- Recognized as a San Francisco Super Lawyer in Family Law (2014-2019)
- Certified Family Law Specialist, as certified by the State Bar of California, Board of Legal Specialization since 2008
- Recognized as a SuperLawyer© for many years
- Board Member Harvard Law School Association of Northern California
- Group Leader of a San Francisco ProVisors© group as well as a member of the Bay Areas Lawyers and Bay Area’s Women Affinity Groups
- Board Member for Clairobscur Dance Company, a Los Angeles dance company
- Settlement Master San Francisco, Alameda and San Mateo Superior Courts (settling dissolution and other contested matters)
- Chair (2008-2009) and Vice Chair (2007) Family Law Section of the Bar Association of San Francisco
- Member of the Family Law Sections of the Bar Association of San Francisco, San Mateo County Bar, Alameda County Bar and Los Angeles County Bar Associations as well as the American Bar Association
- Member of the Association of Certified Family Law Specialists and Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
- Author of numerous articles on family law issues and regular speaker on family law subjects
- Active is subject related listserves.
- Enjoys drone flying, playing piano and oboe, sewing, knitting, backyard farming, ferments, music, swimming, scuba, and adventures.
Highlights of Involvement
Harvard Law School Association of Northern California Member from 2008 to present; President 2021 to present.
We Are Ready
Our team is back and we are here for you when you are facing significant and difficult family law transitions. Contact us for caring, thoughtful, and strong support.
44 Montgomery St.
San Francisco, CA 94104